Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tomato Season

Theoretically, I'm posting more frequently, even daily. However, in practice, I'm still lagging... So, last week:
Last Tuesday I harvested all the onions. The hot tub makes a great place to cure them. The curtains keep the sun off and there's plenty of room and air circulation.
It's definitely tomato season. They are ripening everywhere. Rick gets to forage his own tomatoes for lunch. I've also been drying them and making sauce.
These are Karen's Purple Russians. They are huge this year, which she attributes to Ricky C's compost.
This isn't the best pic, but it documents something awesome. Rick sawed out those dumb boards so now we can actually sweep the bar!
*****************************************
Weather Note
It cooled down after our hot spell, and it's been pretty pleasant. We're still getting the Delta breezes, keeping it cooler and moister than usual. In fact, there's been a breeze every day since... I dunno, February? That's pretty unusual but we're not complaining. It's been cooling off at night enough to open the house up. This morning it was only 68 degrees, which felt lovely.
*******************************************
We keep harvesting tomatoes. This was Wednesday's haul.
By Thursday, my kitchen looked like this!
Friday, when we walked we saw roadbed being created where the freeway is being widened. First they built those concrete barriers. Then this truck poured its load of gravel. The driver was quite adept at driving and pouring.
Then the bobcat came along and smoothed it out further.
Over the weekend, Rick continued to work on the bar. He's got the back wall pretty much done. The "siding" is all scrap plywood from shipping pallets and crates.
And we picked even more produce.
The melon was our second Galia, and it was wonderful! We ate it all up, everyone standing up, bending over, and dripping juice all over the ground.
Sunday, we began our idea of taking a daily big bottle of beer to the farm to taste. We started with Ninkasi Spring Reign. This is a seasonal spring beer, and we found it a bit malty, but it did have a nice clean finish. Rick C. thought it should have a tomato on top of it... The flowers are from the melon patch. And speaking of Rick C. I'd like to point out that I did NOT post the really goofy pic of him with an ice pack on his head... I feared his retaliation!
Monday, Nancy joined us for our walk.
And we saw our turtle friend again.
This time we actually got to see his head, not just his colorful rear end.
Today I went to hang out with Pearl so Ann could have a few hours off. Since I was going to do that in the afternoon, I decided I'd take the morning off. So all I did was clean out my trunk, fix the fence, deep soak the melons, bag up the dried tomatoes and clean the dryer racks, mop the laundry room floor, clean out the edges around the lint trap on the dryer, harvest a bunch of cayennas, wipe down the whole patio area, wash the dishes, broom down cobwebs, make the bed, and fix lunch. The rest of the time I just sat around and played games...

No comments:

Post a Comment