Monday, July 29, 2013

Playing With Blocks

After the jam making on Friday, we went to the farm. We had flavor bombs...
And more zucchini relish and cream cheese with fig jam and plum jam.
And more flavor bombs. Melinda's friend Treo said they looked like sushi for vegetarians.
Saturday was hot and humid (44% humidity and 90+ degrees!). But we played croquet anyway.
At least we had plenty of shade. Buddy, Rick, and Bill did their best but...
And yeah, it's way past time to repaint my ball.
But Sunday was block day. Delina brought her trusty truck Waza, and we got a (partial) ton of blocks.
Rick cleverly opened up the fence, and we had a "bucket brigade" to hand them through. Rick C. was in the truck handing to Delina who handed to me who handed to Melinda. We got all 32 blocks stacked.
And the guys got to work. Bill loads up some mortar to start fitting them together.
And the first race goes down.
Fortunately we had plenty of supervision.
Rick and Bill put down fully two races and started on the third. Now we can do a bit at a time and finish up. We just needed to get a good push to get started.
*******************************************************
What We're Cooking
After being in the heat all morning, we went home to "relax." I finished making the zucchini relish, noting what I did this time. I hope it tastes as good as the first one! Then I roasted all the serranos and jalapenos, peeled and seeded the tomatoes and made sauce. Then, I sliced up a dehydrator's worth of tomatoes. Even though I'd been cooking for hours, I still needed dinner, so I made half of the tomato sauce into a nice meaty spaghetti sauce with homegrown onion, garlic, oregano, and basil, and served it over pasta. 
***********************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment