Friday, July 19, 2013

Food Processing

We harvested more tomatoes on Tues. This giant was probably three grown together, but it's impressive anyway. It's a Volkov.
This was the haul. I've already got this all processed, except for a few Volkovs kept out for eating fresh. I dried the cherries and roasted the Better Boys and Tangies.
We've continued our beer-a-day quest. Tuesday's offering was Midnight Expression Lager from Port Brewing Company. It was a black lager, very roasty and chocolatey tasting. The brewing company is in San Diego.
They had a bit of blat about surfing on the side.
Also on Tuesday, Tom and Nancy's niece, Marya, sang at open mic at Cafe Flo. She was great! We got there just in time. We caught the tail end of the second song, and all of the third one. While we enjoyed the music, I enjoyed this awesome IPA. Mark says it's hard to get, but it was fantastic. Probably the best IPA I've ever had.
Cool car!
On our Wednesday walk, we saw Mr. Turtle again. He was splay-legged over his log, looking quite warm and comfy.
Nancy walked with us again on Wed. and she caught this image of the damselfly perched on my head.
That afternoon I put up 5 quarts of zucchini relish. Well, 4 and a half. I processed up 4 and kept the half in the fridge. It turned out pretty good, after I kicked the sugar way down and the spices way up. I just kept tasting the brine until it was spicy enough. It has our zucchs, onions, and padron peppers in it, plus store-bought bell pepper and carrots. It also has mustard, dill, and fenugreek seeds, tumeric, curry powder, and soy.
I finally got some more seeds planted yesterday. Rows D1-4 are Apollo broccoli , D5-8 are Summer Purple broccoli, and D9-10 are Tenderheart Chinese cabbage.
Thursday's beer was this IPA, Freestone Union Jack. We thought it was too malty and not hoppy enough for a proper IPA. Although, I might just have been spoiled after that Tower 10. It was also 7.5% so we sipped it sparingly. Notice the white scallops in the background. I picked 4 nice ones yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment