Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fourth of July Weekend

Last weekend was the 4th of July long weekend, so we had some extra time to play at the farm (when we weren't going to parties). It's been pretty mild, considering, but this is still mid-summer in Chico, so it's hot. I decided that the herbs had no chance in the clay pots in this heat, so I transplanted them around the rose. That way, the rose gets a little buffer, and we have lovely edible herbs mingled with the vegetables. This bed contains (clockwise from top left) lemon mint, thyme, sage, and chives.
The grapes are just covered with fruit. I guess they like being pruned, fed, and watered. Go figure. These bunches are all hidden behind a screen of leaves, but they're in there, and growing fat.
I stuffed some round zucchs with wild rice and chorizo in a tomato sauce. They came out looking beautiful, and the filling was delicious, but even 45 mins at 400 wasn't enough to properly cook the zucchs. Next time I think I'll steam the zucchs first. So this is sort of  "What We're Not Eating."
********************************************************************
What We're Eating
Plums! Plums, plums, and more plums!
********************************************************************
Bill came over to visit. This is farming at its best. The irrigation is running, the chickens are on pasture, the plums are falling all around us, and we're sitting in the shade drinkin' beer and BSin'.
On Monday, Rick J. got energetic, and he and Rick C. got going on a table to go under my coldframe/shade structure unit. Could it be because I'd stated my strong desire to NOT crawl on my belly like a reptile to start the hundred or so broccolis? Besides, we have all the old wood and fittings.
Yesterday I harvested a big armload of oregano. Here it is just covering my butcher block after being washed. I got the bundles all tied up yesterday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment