Monday, January 18, 2010

What's Growing Now

It's another rainy day, and it's supposed to rain all week. But even though it's wintery and wet outside, we still have a lot of things growing in the garden. On Saturday, I went around and noted everything that's in the ground right now. It's an amazing list actually.

This is everything that you could eat right now:

Onions (Walla Walla, Stockton Early Yellow, Cipolini Red, Cipolini Yellow, Hamburger Red plus the red and yellow onions in the starter box, and...*)
Leek
Shallots
Garlic
Mustard (green and red)
Kale
Bok Choi
Daikon
Radishes
Lettuce (Master Chef Blend and Green Towers)
Cabbage (Chinese and red)
Broccoli
Parsley
Chervil
Oregano
Mint
Swiss Chard

* I guess I never wrote down what onions I put in the second location. I'll have to be more careful! I bought all the starts that were left at the Farmer's Market.

Other things growing at the farm are:
Fennel (that crop is probably lost from the freeze, but we're waiting to see)
Apricots
Plums
Cherries
Oranges
Apples
Grapes
Snow Peas (just planted)

All the citrus crops were ruined in the hard freeze this year. I lost almost all my lemons, and the oranges at the farm aren't edible. We even tried to juice them to no avail.

Things available to the co-op from farm "annexes" are:
Lemon
Grapefruit
Asparagus
Eggs
Rosemary
Sage
Thyme

That's 16 things we can eat right now, and 31 total crops. That's amazing! And the farm's row crop area is only 700 square feet. If we dig up our whole back yard, we can double that space.

No comments:

Post a Comment