Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lettuce

The sun came out yesterday, and I burst out of my enforced hibernation with glee. I cleaned up all the fallen lemons at our house, then made some paper pots and planted some lettuce seeds. I planted Rouge Grenobloise and Blushed Butter, both from Park Seeds. Neither is listed on their current website, so I can't put up pix or links. But here are the seed packets.

And here they are in the seed starting box. Notice the original Amberglen sign underneath. I'm still trying to find a way to preserve the old paint. I think I need to use some major plastic, like envirotech.

So since it was sunny, of course I went to the farm. I didn't do much except chat with Buddy and drink beer. After all, that's what the farm is really about. Rick rushed over after work to catch the last few minutes of sun, and Catherine came by after work too. We made her take some bok choi home. I dunno when we'll ever see the other Rick again... not until it warms up I think. Buddy harvested some broccoli, which he and I shared. Here's my piece. Isn't it lovely?

I picked some of the narcissus blooming in my front yard, and their scent is just heavenly. I was able to open the windows yesterday and run the fan, so the house is full of new air. I just hate how stuffy a house gets in winter when the windows are closed. All the air gets stale and seems like it's been breathed too many times. But with fresh air, lovely flower scents, and sun coming in the windows, my house is much nicer. And yeah... I know... I have really wacky taste in home furnishings. I made the curtains and chair cushions myself. Crazy quilt meets animal prints... wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment