Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sure Is Winter

We're definitely in wintery weather. It's been getting up to the 50s, with lows in the 40s, and morning fog. It's also been damp and slightly rainy. Yesterday the sun came out for a minute, and I headed over to the farm to have a beer in the sunshine. Buddy was out too but we didn't do much. I fertilized the onion starts in the raised bed, and de-leafed the rose. There is more pruning and thinning to do, and I need to move and divide a lot more bulbs and rhisomes. I also need to get out and pick up all my dead lemons. That is a sad task: a harvest with no fruit. But it has to be done, and I'll just face up to it.

Since I was at the farm yesterday, I indulged myself and picked some of the mesculn lettuces. There is just a tiny patch, but I got a nice handful of lettuce. I added a little store-bought romaine to buff it out, and it was utterly delicious. So much more flavor! The bok choi didn't mind being transplanted at all, especially because I did it while it was sprinking, so they stayed wet. They've really responded to the extra root room and are growing fast and looking very vigorous. I am expecting to have lots of bok choi soon. I did pick a leaf or two for my salad, but in general, I think it needs a few weeks more to fill out.

My Burpee order shipped, so I should have seeds soon. Karen and I are going to have a seed starting day next week, and we'll put them all in the starting box.

No comments:

Post a Comment