Monday, August 3, 2009

Tomato Wonderland

Tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes! We are awash in tomatoes. Catherine took home a whole basketful to eat with her lunches, and Rick C has been bringing salsa to work. I've been feeding my Rick BLTs just about daily. And what we ate last night was fast and delicious. This is a perfect summer recipe to use up those tomatoes, withOUT standing over a hot stove stirring sauce for 2 hours.


*****************************************************
What We're Eating

Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce

Pasta
Onions
Bell Peppers
Garlic
Tomatoes
Olive Oil
Basil
Parmesan
Salt

Put water on to boil for pasta.
Chop plenty of onions, bell peppers, and garlic.
Cut tomatoes in half, and scoop out the seeds and excess juice with your finger.
Grate on a box grater until you get to the skin, then toss the skin in the chicken-feed bucket. Drain the grated tomatoes of excess juice.
Saute the onions and peppers in olive oil until tender, add garlic and cook for just a second, then add grated tomatoes.
Cook for about 5 minutes, then toss the pasta in the boiling water.
After 5 more minutes (or when pasta is al dente) drain pasta and add to sauce.
Toss with lots of fresh basil, salt, and parmesan.

*****************************************************

This takes about 10 mins of prep and 10 mins of cooking, so it can't be beat for a fresh meal after a hard day of farming.

Right now I'm making more zucchini bread. I put some in muffin pans, and I have high hopes for that style. I was going to make a double recipe, but I'm out of sugar. I went through what would normally be a year's worth of sugar in the last week or so! I'm going to just keep making as much zucchini bread as I can, as it will freeze well...that is, if I can make it fast enough to freeze some! It tends to get gobbled up when I bring it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment