Monday, August 10, 2009

First Corn!

We picked the first corn of the season!



And with the zucchini, I can make more bread.

What are you gonna do with a big basket of tomatoes like this?



Make them into barbecue sauce and cook ribs!



That shot shows the ribs with just the dry rub, before the sauce went on. I cut up the tomatoes and roasted them, then simmered them in a pot with brown sugar, cider vinegar, worstershire sauce, onion, and jalapeno, plus salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. I ran the immersion blender around to smooth out the sauce.

We ate them at the farm yesterday. I still have a lot of barbecue sauce left.

Rick and I also took the lettuce table over to the farm. We can use it to start seeds in and also to grow greens. I put in a few buckets of compost to make the dirt more fertile. The soil was all really dry, so I had to remember my best mudpie-making techniques from childhood to work the water thoroughly into the soil.

**********************************************
Weather Note

While it didn't actually rain last week, it has been nice and cool, for August. It was only in the 90s, and cooled off nicely at night. There's usually been an evening breeze as well. Still, it's plenty hot enough for the tub to be pleasant.

**********************************************

1 comment: