Saturday, September 21, 2013

Rain!

We're getting the first rains of fall as I type this. It was wet when we got up this morning, and it has rained off and on throughout the day, sometimes pretty hard. It's definitely fall now. We had noticed other cues: The first ripe broccoli!
Another hint was the Harvest Moon. We're actually out after dark... must be fall! 
Rick and Catherine are back, and they brought some lovely carrots to share. These are so beautiful! I'd like to slice them to make escabeche.
Yesterday dawned sunny and warm, but then the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in. We battened things down at the farm, which also meant shelling out all the beans. 
There were a LOT of beans! These are the Flambeau from the backyard. I can't really compare them to the others because I planted more of these, but the production was good, and they are nice big cranberry beans. 
Fortunately, I'd had time to clean out the first backyard row (that had been those lovely beans) and I got a few things transplanted yesterday, the leftovers from Flat B2 (greens): Peppermint chard, Continuity butterhead lettuce, Win-Win choi, and a couple red Kale. I will direct seed the rest of the row. I need a LOT more kale! The broccoli and cabbage in the next row are doing well. I need to tear out the rest of the tomatoes (waiting on bin space), but the peppers are still ripening up.
**************************************
What We're Eating
For Rock Band, Delina brought us a feast: Habanero honey, which she drizzled over Shuberts country vanilla ice cream, then topped with freshly grated ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It was out of this world! Hot, sweet, and spicy! We thought Habanero Honey sounded like it would make a good song title. She also brought chips and salsa made with farm tomatoes. 
I also made some pizza dough now that I don't mind running my oven. So we had that first broccoli on one.
Then I made another with fresh produce from the backyard. The green stuff is green garlic sprouts. 
And for tonight's dinner, I'll make a soup with Rick C.'s last potatoes, and the early cabbage and broccoli. I also tasted the sauerkraut. It's a little young yet, but it's heading in the right direction.
*********************************************************
I didn't end up walking at all last week. I know! Bad me!! But Buddy noticed this rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment