Monday, June 22, 2009

Solstice

We're on the cusp of the Solstice, and the garden is thriving. We've continued to have unseasonably mild temperatures, which we appreciate, even if it means the tomatoes aren't ripening super fast. We've decided they are just waiting for the peppers anyway.

I made the first pesto of the season (for me anyway). I had picked one small squash, some chard, and some basil from the farm.



************************************************
What We're Eating

Start a pot of water to boil while you rinse the garden-fresh produce.
Peel lots of garlic, then put it in the processor with basil, olive oil, and walnuts. Process, then stir in grated parmesan and salt.
When water boils, add pasta. After 2 minutes add sliced squash. After another minute add sliced chard.
Drain and toss with pesto.

************************************************

The pumpkins have sprouted.



On Saturday, I dug out an area to put some bean in along the fence. That area is very gravelly, so I dug a trench and put in some compost to get them started. I think we can tap into the grape water line to water there.

But that seemed like work, and I felt a drop of sweat forming, so I grabbed a cold beer and retired to my outdoor bath to cool off. I opened the Sunset magazine to read an article on "Creating your perfect space"... lol I think I've already done that.



The tomatoes and tomatillos are really filling in. I tied the tomatillos up some, and RickC hit them with some fertilizer, as they are showing a bit of yellowing. We probably need to add iron also.



We ate the first radish. It was really hot, and not at all woody even though it was huge and split.



The pole beans I planted at my house are just popping up. The bush beans that I put in a while ago are starting to flower. Since beans are best planted in stages, we should have a nice succession of beans.



Then, for the Solstice, we went up to Laura's house in Forest Ranch. They've done SO much work, and the place looks fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment