Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fall Fell

Last week, Fall fell with a vengeance! It got cold and rainy. We wore coats for the first time, and put blankets on the bed. I even dragged out my laprobe and heating pad. We also had the first fire of the season! As noted in my last post, it rained pretty hard on Saturday. Then on Tuesday night, it rained as well. Here we are in the bar, watching the rain. We had an unexpected Bill!
The rain gauge showed half an inch of rain.
It cleared up a bit for Wednesday, when I picked these lovely squashes.
I also planted another flat of lettuce. They should do better in this weather. We are getting warm days and cool nights (when it's not raining...).
Thursday night was Enloe's dinner for folks who'd worked there a long time. Rick and I got to go because he's been there 10 years already. We had a lovely dinner and a couple of glasses of Flipside.
Here's a nice day's haul! All the first plantings of cabbage are done. We've picked the big ones, but there are still some Soloists in the ground. I sent one each home with Catherine and Buddy.
Kim called me about a limb down at 9th Street. I had chapters to work on (first Prima book in ages!) but Rick went over and cut as much wood as he could. Turns out the whole side of the old pear came down. It's actually a good thing, because I was going to have to pay to have it removed anyway. I cleared some space and we set up another rack for wood. It's all stacked and ready to keep us warm this winter.
I'm itching to get the garlic in the ground, so I went out and picked some of the pumpkins. There are still a couple that aren't ripe yet, but this is most of them. The Red Kuri were the most productive, with the Winter Luxury Pie and Baby Blue Hubbard tied for second. I have one lonely Kakai Hulless ripening up. Once the rest are finished, I'll pull up all the vines and we'll get garlic in the spot. I'm also going to plant a bunch in the backyard. Garlic is a good backyard crop because it's "plant and forget." At the farm, I'd rather have things that are ripening all the time and need watching.
I got the apricot/plum tree pruned yesterday, so all the small trees are done except the bigger apricot. It will have to wait for the next bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment