Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Springboard to Spring

We've been watching the signs for spring. By Valentines Day, the blossoms were just starting to open on the apricot.
And the daffodils are starting to bloom.
So, it must be time to start thinking about spring planting. We got the strings up on the trellis and planted snow peas, both Oregon II and Golden.
We prepped rows 4 and 5 A, adding compost and new mulch. We planted 5a in garden peas ("Spring" garden pea, from Burpee) in a double row on 2-14.
We finished off with row 4a on 2-16. I think the plants on the front are rescued Johnny Jump Ups. If they're weeds, well...
Meanwhile, we're still harvesting broccoli. I brought these lovely heads home to make pizza for our Vday Rock Band gig. We had a full complement of both Somebody Push X and Alien Peace Wave.
Last Sunday (2-17) I started the tomatoes. I only planted 68... probably not enough... Actually, I planted about 5 of each variety (with some exceptions) with the hope of getting two really good starts for each. I planted extras of the small determinate sauce tomatoes that I will put over at 9th.
I did the planting on the back patio, and I had my lil pegleg hen out. She was so fascinated by what I was doing, she actually flew up to the table to check it out. Of course, she wouldn't pose for me there, but she showed off on the ground. She's a pretty bird, and she's laying steadily now.
And by the 17th, the apricot has numerous blossoms, and even the plum is showing color in the buds.
And the daffodils in the glen are in their full glory.
**************************************
Weather Note
It's been our typical glorious early Feb. weather, with cool temps but sunshine, and even a few vaguely warmish days. I went out with no coat at midday one day! Then today, it tried to snow on the valley floor and there were tornado watches... We got a bit of rain, and its predicted to be cloudy with possible rain for the rest of the week.
**************************************
Rick got to work on the grapevines. He and Buddy tore all the old chicken wire, and generally got it all cleaned up.
Rick shows off a particularly gnarly pruning. Delina came over and gave us a ton of help with the pruning. Rick and I both learned a lot from watching her.
Meanwhile off the farm... We gathered at Tom and Nancy's for a cornhole game. Oddly enough, there was also music, and good food, and great company, and a fine sunny day.
When we brunched at Sierra Nevada, we saw their newest glasses. These are for IPAs and are intended to concentrate the aroma, much like a wineglass. They served us these glasses when we ordered the Ruthless Rye.
Dean also paid us a visit at the Farm. Buddy shows off his curmudgeonly cameraderie in a totally appropriate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment