Friday, February 22, 2013

Chicken Feed

With organic feed prices going through the roof, we've been looking at natural alternatives. And, we always need to know what is and isn't good to feed chickens. This post is a really useful compendium, so I'm linking it here. 

Probably the most important is the list of what NOT to feed them:
Avocado, raw green potato peels, citrus, anything salty, dry or undercooked beans, candy, chocolate, or sugar. Also, never feed them anything not fit for human consumption, meaning moldy, rotted, etc. I also noticed they said only to feed seedless grapes, something we'll have to bear in mind come grape season.

We've also been sprouting seeds for the chickens, but I need to find a seed source and get a bigger setup. I like the idea of using five-gallon buckets with slits cut in the bottom. I need a source of organic grain seeds to sprout without having to buy a pound at a time and pay shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment