Saturday, May 14, 2011

Summer Garden In

Last weekend, 5-7 was a live music day in the hood! First there was this bike-in party going on in the backyard across the alley. There were about 100 people on bicycles and a band. They played for about an hour, then everyone hopped on their bikes to go to the next part of the party. How cool!
After that, Ed's band had band practice, which was also nice. So we had live music all day while we planted and built. Rick got the framing in for the slab.
 As noted in the last post, tomatoes went in last week (5-2). Yeah, it was too early, but it was getting too hot in the coldframe, and I didn't want to lose the starts I bought. Then mid week (5-7) I planted the beans in rows 4B and 5B. Filet beans don't appear here, but I planted those also.
Last Wed. (5-11) Rick C and I set in all the pepper starts in 2A.
I augmented the irrigation to get good coverage, and planted them pretty tightly.
I got bean towers set up at my house also.
Last Thursday, we bottled the rest of the plum wine.
Rick checks the clarity, or in this case, the opacity.
Weird framing helped make this more interesting.
**********************************************************
What We're Eating
Cherries are getting really ripe, and we're still getting a nice handful of snow peas a day. And of course, lots and lots of eggs.
Half the fun is stalking the wild cherry...
The earliest arugula is to seed now, but the next planting is coming up nicely.

*****************************************************************
Weather Note
It's been all over the map. Mostly warm, but still windy, with a big thunderstorm last weekend. Today is windy again after a couple of nice days, and it looks like another storm is blowing in. I'm gonna wish I hadn't planted the summer crops yet... but on the other hand, if you wait too long, it's too hot to transplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment