Sunday, February 7, 2010

Peas Up!

The big news is that the first peas have sprouted. This got me excited about planting more... but first things first.
Wednesday wasn't THAT rainy, so we snuck in a little farm time. We picked some lovely daikons. Rick and I ate ours sliced with just a sprinkle of salt, mmmm.
I also tranplanted some of the arugula right into the ground.
I was transplanting other seeds too: the rouge gren and the blushed butter, into their own paper pots. But it got dark so we took a chance and set the umbrella back up so we had all the light over the table.
Thursday was rainy, but on Friday, I transplanted Karen's fava beans to 4-inch pots. Well, what I call 4-inch pots anyway :) They're beer cups with a hole drilled out. They are nice and deep, and they're all recycled from parties.
Yesterday rained in the morning while we had brunch at Sierra Nevada with Glen and Karen. But then it cleared up and we set out to the farm to get some things done. I was all excited about peas, so I planted another double row of Burpeanna Early garden peas.
I also put strings up for the second double row of snow peas, to the far right in this picture. The garlic patch in the middle is doing really well.
And I'm planning to put the cold frame in this space, right out in the garden. I can put lettuces in the ground, and put pots of summer starts on the mulched pathway part.
Rick and Catherine showed up. Catherine did a ton of weeding, while Rick scoped out his next project: the water line.
Bill came over to give us a hand.
Or was it a finger?
With all this help on hand, we got the pole barn put up.
Everyone helps
We also got the chicken pen put up on sawhorses so Rick can work on making the bottom for it. He's pleased with the prospect.
Later we make a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment