Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Three Months

Well, it's been over three months now since we started our farm. It's a good thing we accomplished so much so fast, because now it's too hot to work! About all we can do is drink beer in between flipping the switches on the irrigation. I'm so glad we got it all mulched and irrigated!

The soil here is very depleted from all the time it was fallow. We'll need to build the soil with liberal applications of compost. We'll side dress as best we can this season, but before we plant again, we will need to amend heavily.

Also, given the fantastic drainage, we can't depend on soil moisture. We'll have to water pretty steadily throughout this season. Again, this will be mitigated somewhat after we amend the soil.

The little rose is blooming happily. It's really responded to a little care and attention, not to mention a little judicious pruning.



My pole beans sprouted. They are pole filet beans from Renee's Seeds, and are equal parts Ramdor (yellow) and Emirite (green). They take 60 days, so we should start seeing harvest in late Aug.-early Sept. My bush beans (fruit showing as of today) will be the first to produce, then my pole beans, and finally these, for a nicely staggered harvest.



The melons are going crazy. They have loose sandy soil, endless sunshine, and regular water, which is exactly what they love.



The paste tomatoes (Big Mama) still seem really scraggly. I'm not sure I'll use this variety next year.


(See! I'm in some of the pix!)

And the golden jubilee tomato has been pumping out a ripe tomato a day.



Rick stopped in at the Enloe Farmers Market yesterday, and brought home a haul of fresh produce. So I took the opportunity to make salsa, which I'll bring over... now!

No comments:

Post a Comment