Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mid Spring

I've been very remiss about updating this blog, but it's only because I've been so busy! With farms at both properties, the market, the food biz, and general keeping up with everything I've been sorta swamped. But here's the roundup for the last couple of weeks. We got the tomatoes and peppers in at the farm.
And they are already getting big! Rick made some super uber cages out of rewire (the stuff you put under cement). He made them so three nest together so they don't take up quite so much room.
We got the tomatoes and peppers in at home also. I found more places to put them! I have 9 tomatoes back here (plus five more in the last row), and two gourds. It's gonna be interesting later!
Rick turns compost. We have a good bunch this season. This lot has already been put on sector 1, where I will plant beans soon.
I'm still doing the Chapman Farmers' Market, but it's slow going. I have a fantastic ratio of sales to customers, but there just aren't many customers.
These are my neighbors, Jake and Jim.
Liz came one day and brought some great historical documents. I had no idea we lived between Del Norte and El Dorado.
The chickens are getting big fast. Rick is working diligently on the chicken house, and it is nearing completion.
The garlic and onions are almost done. I harvested most of my garlic at home, and these need to come out soon.
We are also harvesting peas (they are gone now, but they were delicious).
And leeks. This was a monster!
We got the sign put up.
It looks great! You can see where the old sign was, but that should fade.
 Behind the garlic rows are the sweet peas. I only got  a couple plants to come up, but they have been fun and fragrant. Catherine indulges in the scent.
Karen and Glen had us over for pizza and beer for Rick's birthday.
Glen made Rick a special bottling of Wake Me Up Coffee Stout.
I liked this shot of Glen out in the roses. He sorta matches!
We also went out to Handle Bar for Heretic Tap Takeover.
They brought some good beers. It wasn't as fun as when Lagunitas came, but it was still nice.
The little peach is doing well. We didn't get much fruit on the plums this year. They started to bloom too soon, and then nothing seemed to set up. But the peach has some nice fruit on it.
And the red hot pokers were a lot happier out here in the sun. The hummingbirds just loved these, and would fly right by our faces to get to them. They sound like light sabers.
And so I can find this again... here's how to prune gourds.
I finished a decoupage project.
And Amber's flowers are blooming.

No comments:

Post a Comment