Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mid November

This time of year, there isn't a whole lot of new planting going in, although I did finally get the last of the garlic planted in my backyard. There are 6 short rows here. From the left, the first row is Chandon, which Karen got me from one of her grape growers. It's a turban type, and reputed to be very hot. Next two rows are oddball ones from before, probably mostly Lokalen Red. After the middle path, I planted three rows of the Killarney Red I ordered this year from Peaceful Valley. I tucked a few more Killarney Red's behind the Poblano.
And speaking of peppers, I harvested a ton of peppers from the farm, because I needed to get those rows dug up so I can get the cover crop (crimson clover) planted. If I wait too long, it will be too cold for it to germinate. I put the green anchos under the broiler to blacken them, then just flash froze them. I took all the red peppers (mostly anchos, but a few paprika and red peters), cut them in half, seeded and stemmed them, and put them in the dehydrator. They dried out pretty fast. I ground half of them, and got a nice bottle of ancho powder. I'll grind the rest later to keep them fresher.
************************************
What We're Eating
I harvested this.
And made this. Yum! I also made the first big broc mac and cheese casserole. And, the homegrown cabbage makes great slaw.
************************************************
We've had some good drinks as well. Karen and Glen brought us some Churchhill from Bear Republic. It was a very hoppy IPA, so of course I loved it! We shared it with the usual suspects, and Catherine noted that it tasted of grapefruit pith: citrusy but with a hint of bitter. The bitterness was impressive, but smooth and not at all sharp.
 And Saturday we went to the Handle Bar for the Drake's tap takeover. We had some excellent beers there. And as you can see, it continues to be warm and dry. We have long sleeves on, but we're happily sitting outside in mid November.
/
The Drake's Hella Fresh was my fave, although the Drake's Expedition Imperial Red was a nice beer as well. We started Drake's Blonde Kolsch.
Sunday we listened to Tom's band at Has Beans again. They are trying to think of a name. 
After the gig we went outside to take band pics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment