Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mid April

Although I've been tied up at 9th street, we've managed to get a few things done at the farm as well. Catherine got really busy and cut down tons of privet. I don't have a good pic of it, but after she cut up the privets, Buddy tore out the stump, and Rick did some alterations to the trailer. Now we can actually walk around the back of the coldframe, essentially doubling the size of our greenhouse. That will be a big help. I continued working on the path.
Rick helped me arrange some stones. All the dirt I removed went into the compost pile. But I needed to add a little back, so I began excavating where the block wall footing needs to go by the pizza oven. 
This picture cracks me up: What every modern farmer needs is a 6-pack of Summerfest in one hand, and an iPad in the other.
Delina came over one evening and brought pomegranite wine, which was delicous.
It's been warmer and wet, which has brought out the mushrooms. These are like cute little fairy houses. 
Sadly, warm, wet conditions also cause peach leaf curl due to a fungus. Next year we will have to spray with copper twice: once right at leaf fall, and again as the buds swell in spring. 
On the other hand, the lettuces and fava beans love the warm wet weather. This is what I took home for dinner yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment