Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Screen Making

We went to Delina's party for 4th of July. It was fun as always, and I spent most of the time in the hot tub (cold-water hot tub that is). Afterward we went to the farm to work on the drying screens for the plums. Rick C. had donated the uber stainless steel mesh, and fashioned a frame around it using wood we had left from the bar project. Then Rick J worked on the top screen. Again, he built a frame out of leftover wood, then stretched leftover window screen over it. The window screen is just to keep out bugs, but the fruit will rest on the nice, cleanable stainless steel.
He also tacked screen on the bottom of the frame around the drying rack. This rack will just always be the bottom one.
Here it is in action. We just set up sawhorses to prop the rack up, for now. If we make more racks, we can simply stack them.
Both Ricks check out their handiwork.
The vegetables have been excited by the heat and lots of water. Everything is growing like crazy. The beans are about to be harvestable size. These are "velour" a lovely, short filet bean. The hope is that they fit the jars better.
Last post I mentioned that I planted another row of beans on 6-30. By 7-4, we saw the first sprout, and more were up yesterday.
We have peppers fruiting up, and lots of baby tomatoes.
We carefully maneuvered the chicken pen into the back sectors of rows 2 and 3. Buddy also got a bunch of it dug up.
I didn't take a pic, because it was pretty dark and I was pretty tired when I was done, but I planted pumpkins and flowers in the other patch behind the house.

And back at my house, all my cupboard doors are off. Soon this boring white will be way less boring! I cleaned out all the drawers today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment