Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Harvesting

It's official: I picked the first tomato on Thursday, 6-24. It's from one of the Principe Borghese in my backyard. Those were planted later, not until mid-May, when it had really warmed up. The ones I planted in the farm on May 5 are also just starting to ripen up. The extra two weeks in the ground didn't make them fruit faster. If anything, it set them back. I'd have kept them all in the cold frame two weeks longer if they hadn't outgrown the space and the pots.
The first of the beans I planted on 6-20 were up by Wed. Yesterday (Fri.) they were all up.
Rick C. snagged this sink. We're quite excited about it, and plan to make a stand for it out of old fencing 4x4s.
We checked out the giant wind chimes. Very cool.
Rick enjoys the cool tub.
I had signed us up for the Great Sunflower Project, and ordered the seeds on 6-8. When they hadn't arrived in two weeks, I gave up and ordered the same seeds from Renee's Seeds, along with some other flower seeds. So yesterday we checked the mail and... both seed packets had arrived! We figured it was time to plant them.
So we put them in on Friday, 6-25, in this patch along the old shed, to the side of row 1 and behind the winter squash.
The plums are coming ripe now, and we're picking lots of them. I have a big bag of them in the refrigerator. I'm going to save up several days worth, and boil them down into puree, for wine or jelly or just eating.
I got a good look at another lizard. I'm not sure if this is a juvenile alligator lizard, or another variety.
He's hard to see in the straw.
And finally, my apologies for the out-of-focus shot, but I wanted to document that the marigolds are already blooming, as of Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment