Monday, June 14, 2010

Now It's Hot

Oh yeah. It's summer now! The week started out pretty nice. On Monday I got these new chairs for the farm.
Buddy pulled the last of the peas from the back of row 3. It's ready to plant in beans once we give it a quick till. 
We saw this guy as we were leaving one evening. Alligator lizards like this eat tons of bugs, so we're glad to see him in our garden.
Rick and Rene make plans for the playhouse. That might be something we work on when it's in the shade.
The zuchs are starting to flower.
The black cherry tomatoes are making big bunches.
And the Tangerines are starting to show color.
I got the tub area straightened up and ready to go. It's well shaded this year.
Which is going to be important! On Friday, it got up to 90.
And by Sunday it was almost 100.
We mulched the area around the apple tree, and planted a hill of Boston Marrows there. By Saturday, a sprout was just showing. The Bidwell melons in row 1 are sprouting also.
This is the "fire" flowerbed. There are Tigger melons, two kinds of sunflowers, cosmos, zinnias, and marigolds, all in fiery oranges, reds, and yellows. I weeded and thinned them some on Saturday.
We also rushed to get the last of the mulching done. We still need to do a few sections, but only ones that will be dug up. All the planted areas are mulched and irrigated.
The sundial had been sited under the cherry tree, but by now that is in total shade, so I decided to resite it on top of the raised bed. I wanted to make sure it was aligned to true north, so I pulled out my phone's compass app to check. For some reason, everyone found it hilarious that I was using my phone to calibrate the sundial. And by the way, the bar in the center of a sundial is a "gnomon."

No comments:

Post a Comment