Thursday, March 27, 2014

Out Like a Lion

I always say that in Chico, the old saying goes backward. Here, March comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion. We always get a period of lovely weather between mid Feb and mid March. But by the end of the month... hail and tornadoes. But I'm getting ahead of myself. My starts are coming along nicely. Way back on March 12, the roots were already long! I started potting them up into cups.
Monica brought me some extra starts, and I popped them in the lettuce row.
Someone may have gotten a little older...
So we played some Rock Band.
 My parents came to town and we took them to the farm.
Then back to the house for a lovely salad from the harvest.
Bill and Laura came to the farm and brought this lovely cheesecake.
By mid March, the trees were all flowering. The plums and apricots are pretty much done now, but the cherry is still in full bloom and the peach still has a few last blossoms. My apple is in full bloom.
The garlic and onions are thriving in sector 4.
Sector 3 has peas and lettuces, plus some radishes. We've since moved the chickens from sector 2 to sector 1.
Rick continues his work on the chicken house.
I planted herbs on 3-15. I also put chive seeds around the tree trunks.
And squash on 3-25. I put these in Karen's tray so it wouldn't be half empty while we hope the peppers germinate.
And I planted bushel basket gourd seeds in the backyard on 3-21.
Our neighbor has been making us a bit nevous with his amateur tree cutting... He totally took out his own fence!
We've been getting really beautiful lettuces.
I transplanted all the tomatoes into cups.
But I've had to keep them in the taproom because it's still too cold out. They barely fit!
We had Karen and Glen over for Indian Food and India Pale Ale tasting. It was a grand feast and a rollicking good time.
So all through the middle of March it was warm and sunny. Ricky C. went ahead and planted his tomatoes. I said, I don't care if it seems warm, it's just too early, and I was right. Yesterday we had hail and tornadoes. The tornado was near Willows, but we got a lot of wind and hail. This is the tail end of the storm passing over.
Then we had a lovely double rainbow.
Goofy bonus pic: We got new phones, and I was dorking around with the camera. I love the "flower headdress" look... lol. Two days ago I was wearing shorts, and here I'm back to the parka... in the house... sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment