Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rains Came

Well, the drought isn't over, but we got some welcome rain. It started on 2-8, when we got about two inches.
By the next day, we were up to two and a half inches.
And by the end of the storm, we had gained more than four inches!
The rain helped everything out, but especially the spring bulbs. These are the hyacinths I put in this winter. On 2-8 they are just popping up.
And a week later, they are blooming. The daffodils are still blooming heavily as well. By now, the light purple ones have bloomed also, and the smell is heavenly.
It was definitely time to plant tomatoes and peppers, so I got after it on 2-11 in flat D. D1 Blue Beauty, D2 Indigo Rose, D3 Indigo Blueberries, D4 Indigo Apple, D5 Cosmonaut Volkov, D6 Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, D7 Momotaro, D9 Black Krim, and D10 Black Icicle. Yeah, that's only 9. I apparently can't count.
The rest of the tomatoes went in flat E. E1 Tangerine, E2 and E3 Borg, E4 and E5 Sungold. E6-E10 Tumbling Tiger. I'm thinking of trying to sell starts of the tigers.
Peppers went in flat C and flat F on 2-12. C1 Red Thai (Renees), C2 Red Thai (Baker Creek), C3 Cayenne mix, C4 Tabasco, C5 purple Jalapeno, C6 Fish Pepper, C7 Red Peter, C8 Beaver Dam, C9 3-sided Syrian, C10 Jimmy Nardellos.
Flat F: F1-F2 Jalapeno "Craig's Grande," F3-F4 Serrano "Sureno," F5-F6 Pizza Pepper, F7-F8 New Mexico "Joe Parker," F9 Poblano, F10 Pasilla.
I got the beds in sector 3 cleaned up and put down new straw. I planted Cherry Belle radishes on the right side of row 6A.
On the left side of row 6A, I planted Amethyst and French Breakfast radishes.
In rows 3 and 4A, I planted a variety of peas. I planted these from left to right, so Maestro in the left side of 3A, and Sweet Horizon snow peas on the right. Serge on the left side of 4A and Dakota on the right. These are descending in order of height, with the tallest to the left. I used innoculant, although I almost forgot and had to go back over the first row. I also planted the first row too thinly (it says to plant 1 inch apart and not thin because peas do better in a thick stand) so I went back and planted a second row by each original row. On row 4, I just planted the two rows more thickly.
I watered in my peas, but then it rained last night also.
********************************
What I'm Producing
I hate to be idle, so I've been making candy (which is excellent)...
And these little hats.
**********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment