Saturday, August 24, 2013

More Seed Starting

The earliest fall seeds I planted have grown into huge plants. These cabbages are heading up and almost ready to start eating. I may have started these a tad early, but hey, they seem happy enough.
I have 4 rows currently in broccoli and cabbage, and two more flats ready to put in, so I figure that's enough broccoli for now, and I better put in some other fall crops. The lettuce I started is languishing in the heat, but I think these greens will do ok. Flat B(2): 1-2 Winter Red Kale, 3-4 Violetta Pac Choi, 5-6 Dwarf Curly Blue Kale, 7-8 Peppermint Chard, 9-10 Win-Win Choi.
And, since it's summer, we're still doing beer tasting. This was Rogue's "Grow Your Own" brand. They grew their own hops and barley. We support the idea of "dirtoir"!
Per my notes, Rick said he tastes dark caramel, coffee, and chocolate, but the hoppy finish cleans it up. I noticed caramel, molasses, and, oddly, cinnamon. To Catherine it seemed a bit charred, with burnt sugar and molasses notes. 
Tuesday, I went to play Rock Band at Titus and Jane's. Jane has been making great progress on her dollhouse project. It's so groovy!
I feel like Goldie Hawn will open one of those picture frames, stick her head out, and giggle.
Wednesday I pulled out more beans, and got the chickens working on the row (3a). And I weeded, and watered, and cleaned eggs, and checked this, and tidied that, and harvested a bit of this, and observed a bit of that but... yeah, once again all I've documented is the drinking! Buddy got some Flipside, and we had our first taste of the season.
Thursday was Rock Band practice at our house. Somebody Push X! Seville showed up only because I bragged that he would like my zucchini relish no matter how much he hated zucchini. He kept saying he wouldn't like it, but I knew better. Sure enough... he liked it. He said it didn't taste like zucchini, it tasted like Indian food. It's all in the spicing! He and Melinda do the ebony-and-ivory thing.
And every week, the freeway gets a little closer to completion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment