Thursday, June 27, 2013

First Salsa and Plum Harvest

Yep, it's officially summer. Ricky C made the first batch of salsa.
The tomatoes at the farm aren't quite ripe yet, except for the cherries, which have been producing nicely. But we'll get some very soon. The Cosmonaut Volkovs are taller than I am, and just laden with fruit. If they're as tasty as they're supposed to be, that one will be a keeper. The tangies in our backyard are ripening, and we ate a couple last week. In our backyard, the Ananas Noire and the Hillbillies look to be good producers. I'm not impressed with the Beaverlodge.
And I'll grow these Indigo Rose tomatoes forevermore. They are even more purple-black than they were a week ago.
The plums are all coming ripe. They are juicy and delicious. I thinned a lot, but I will thin even more next year. Pruning the trees small has been a huge help in harvesting, and we still get PLENTY of fruit.
 I even made jam out of some! It's great on zucchini pancakes.
We're getting plenty of zucchini also. I make pancakes a couple of times a week. Delina is having way too much fun with that zucch!
********************************************
Weather Note
The weather has been nuts. I talked about the 50-some degree temperature swing two weeks ago, from 111 to 55. Since then, we had about a week of absolutely perfect weather, then it rained, and now it's getting hot again. And all throughout, it's been windy/breezy. Now it's supposed to hit 106 this weekend.
In June, we don't usually expect to see clouds on the new moon...
And clouds on the full moon. This particular full moon was at a close part of its orbit, and it looked very big and close.
********************************************
I've been getting a good bunch of food out of our backyard also. I harvested all the garlic already, but I'm still pulling out onions. I'm justifiably proud of this torpedo onion.
It's bigger than my hand.
*******************************************
What We're Eating
On the 15th, I went out back and picked this...
Added homemade bread, fresh eggs from our pastured chickens, and new potatoes from R&C's yard...
And we ate this... yum!
******************************************
We seem to be having better luck with melons this year. This is an American melon (I think)
These are honeydew and galia melons from the Renee's collection.
We're getting lots of fruits on the pumpkins too, especially the Winter Luxury, Red Kuri, and Baby Blue Hubbard.
The beans for drying are flowering and setting beans on.
And the borage is doing a fine job of attracting pollinators.
The whole farm looks lush and inviting.
Under bright but cloudy skies.
And if it's summer, it's time to plant for fall! So I started the very first fall plants on 6-20, one day before the solstice.
Flat A, two rows each: broccoli: Belstar, Packman, Deccico; Chinese cabbage: Rubicon, Soloist.

No comments:

Post a Comment