Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tomato Time

Yes, we're getting the first ripe tomatoes. We picked this one on 6-28.
Rick C's tomatoes came on too, and he made the first salsa of the season.
We're also getting lots of zuchs. These three are from Renee's Seeds, and I like the variety. Besides, the bright yellow ones are easy to spot in the garden!
Isn't this lovely!
*****************************************
Weather Note
The last couple of weeks have been very nice, with temps in the mid to high 80s. But now it's starting to hot up again, and I expect to start seeing some triple digit days.
*****************************************
Dean was worried that we didn't have enough produce, so he brought over cucumbers and beets.
Nathan can always rise to the occasion, so he made cucumber and beet pizza. Now if you had asked me if I'd want such a thing, I'd have said No way! Yuck! But... it was unbelievably delicious. He roasted the veggies with spices, and all I can say is ... wow!
We won't get a lot of plums this year, but we do have a few. Next year the trees should do really well.
I got some last minute summer crops and the first of the fall crops started. I have 6 flats in the shade house right now: one with basil and chard, then two of Fiesta broccoli (large headed), two of Apollo broccoli (lots of side shoots), and one flat of chinese cabbage "Soloist," which makes small heads that are just right for a couple of people.
In my backyard, I have everything well mulched. The apple tree has a good amount of fruit, although the lemon is going to have a light year. The butternut squash plant is just loaded with fruit, the delicata has quite a lot, and the pumpkins are just starting to set up. I'm also getting cherry tomatoes, and the rest are almost ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment