Monday, October 19, 2009

New Area

It's been another busy week. I'm so busy with work that I'm really behind on posting. Last Tuesday was a big storm, with high winds and tree limbs coming down. However, the farm, and our new playhouse, stood up to it really well. Interestingly, some lovely maple tree leaves blew in and settled, making it pretty.

Rick C got busy and started digging up a big new area, in front of the existing rows. That pulls the farm portion out to about as far as it can go.  Here you can see Rick and Buddy surveying Rick's work.

 Here you can see more of the first bit of excavations. Doesn't the broccoli look lovely by moonlight?

I transplanted the chervil from the pot by the tub to the area near the fennel at the end of row 2.

Speaking of fennel, it's growing well and sbowing its characteristic shape.

Here's another shot showing where I moved the straw out to cover a path through the new area.

Saturday, we got several truckloads of sycamore chips from trees that had fallen in the storm. We worked all morning to spread it around. I scraped the grass off the area with the pulaski. I guess I was so busy working that I didn't get any snaps. But we covered a large swath in front of the sink and up to the rug. That made a LOT of floor. We rushed off to play croquet afterward. Buddy won :( Then we came back to the farm to enjoy the lovely sunset.

Sunday we got after the new area again. Rick and Rick finished forking out the grass. We spread iron, compost, and gypsum over the area. Then Rick C ran the tiller over it. I did some more work on the chip area, I guess because my back wasn't sore enough yet.

Here the guys show off their work.


No comments:

Post a Comment